Friday, August 05, 2005

Woo Hoo!!!!

You all know that I had my first interview at the law firm on Wed. Thursday morning, I received a call asking if I could come back this morning (Friday) at 10 to talk to the attorney that this secretarial position will be reporting to; of course I said yes. I had a really good talk with her (Michelle de Luca is her name), and we went through another interview. We talked for about 45 minutes, and I left with a really good feeling. I just got a call (well, about an hour ago)--I was finishing blow-drying my hair (I'd done a straightener on it), and Patrick (he'd gotten home early) walked into the bathroom with the phone, saying, "You need to take this call." On the other line was Christie--the woman I've been in contact with--offering me the job!!!!! My first day will be August 15!!!

I AM GAINFULLY EMPLOYED!!!!!

They're paying me more than I was making at either my last job or at TBI, so I'm thrilled about that. After 1 month, I get full medical insurance that the firm pays for completely, which is great, because right now for Patrick to carry me on his insurance, it's about $100/month--so we'd be saving that money. The bummer is, I'm not eligible for vacation until I've been there a year, then I'd have 4 days (they give you 10 days/year vacation, but it would be prorated from Sept-December). They also give employees 10 personal days/year that are accrued at 1 day/month (up to 10/year), so I think Christie said I'd have those.... They also give 8 paid holidays/year, which is really great to have in the private sector (I'm used to it with Gov't work, but not everyone is like the government!!!). I'm pretty happy about it; it's nice to not have to worry anymore, and the fact that it's more money than I had thought I may be able to get is just thrilling me beyond mention. It's also a Mon-Fri job, 8:30-5, and I was afraid that I may have to take a job that #1, is way less money, and #2, wouldn't be a M-F job, so visiting family would prove difficult. They've got a parking garage right next to the office, so parking downtown won't be an issue. And oh yeah--it's downtown so I'll have access to all the great eateries & shops!!! It takes me 20 minutes from the apartment to the parking garage (and that's having to stop for every red light and the construction they're doing on a major part of the commute--I385--which should be finished by the end of the summer), so that's a nice change from the 45-50 minutes I was doing back in West TN.

Hurrah!!!

On another note, Patrick will be in Clemson beginning next week; it's about an hour away, which isn't too great as far as the commute, but the town is supposed to be really nice. Mom & Dad have been through it, and said it was nice, and one of the SC Guidebooks we have said the downtown is really cute (so cute that people ask when the electric parade will begin....). They also have a major Botanical Garden, so I think on Friday I may leave here & bop around the Garden for a bit, then pick Patrick up, and then to Atlanta to spend some time with Mom & Dad, Grandma, Patti & Steve and the girls--this weekend would have been Steph's 19th birthday, so we're going down to celebrate her life.

Still no news on the house; I need to pester our realtor--I don't know if there's just no news, or if she feels that since we're not in the house to arrange viewing schedules around that she doesn't need to notify us if someone is looking....but I'd like to know if people are looking at it, what are they saying, etc. I'm not sure when we'll have a chance to get back to see how the house is doing; it'll be a tough weekend, but maybe end of August? I dread seeing the plants--even though I've set up a self-timer to water the garden, I just have this vision of a brown, crispy dead patch in the middle of a jungle where our live plants used to be.

Tomorrow we're going to a co-worker of Patrick's lake house...I'm not sure exactly where it's located, but it's a big cookout and I thought it was awfully nice for them to invite us, and we're really looking forward to it. There will be quite a few people there, and it'll be nice for me to be able to match a face to the names that Patrick talks about. They're doing hamburgers & hotdogs. I wanted to make my famous chocolate chocolate chunk cookies, but not sure if I'll have time tonight or not.

We're changing our cell phone # tonight to a SC number....I tried to get it done today, but their system went down, so I said I'll just come & pick up the phone tonight--as soon as we get the number we'll send an email to all.

Kelley, we're keeping our fingers crossed on the house; it is so much nicer to be in a house (even if you're just renting!), and I know that you & Adam will be happy to have your own space again.

Janet, no Nancy Lackeys in either the G'vill or the Greer/Taylors/Travelers Rest/etc. phone books....there were a few Lackeys, but no listing for "N" or "Nancy". Or "Nance." I looked at all possibilites....

I think we're going out to the Sub Station to celebrate the end of my joblessness. Hip Hip Hooray!!!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Papa and I say YIPPEEEE!!!!! I didn't think they would let you get away!

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All righty roo for you Chantoo. O.K. I was on a roll. Thanks for your encouragement. I am so proud and happy for both of you and can't wait to see you.

1:56 PM  
Blogger RachieK said...

Hot Damn!!!!! I KNEW the second someone called you in for an interview that you would get the job. You are so intelligent and carry yourself so well, no one would ever pass up the chance to hire you!!!

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home