Monday, August 15, 2005

I have a view!

Well, it's not really my view, but it's one that I can borrow. And look at as long as the attorney who occupies the office right across from me keeps his door open.

I had my first day today, and I thought it went really, really well. I met a ton of people, and everyone seemed very nice, and the people that I talked to all enjoyed working for GWB, so that makes me really happy.

I have a desk, and it's huge. And did I mention that it's right across the hall from a window with a view????

My attorney is very, very nice--she & I raided the supply cabinet after I was done with orientation and set my desk up... The other attorney that I'll work for works only 20 hrs/week, and the other attorney I'll work for starts next week.

The firm has two soft drink dispensers (like the fountain drink dispensers that you see at fast food places!) for the employees to have free soda; they also have cans for the soda types that aren't dispensed via machine. They also provide coffee; I saw a coffee machine that reminded me of a vending machine--you push a button for various flavors. And this was a Gevalia machine, not one of those awful coffee/hot chocolate/hot tea machines that you use where everything pretty much tastes the same, and it's not a good taste, either. They provide cider & tea bags & chocolate mix for those of us who aren't coffee drinkers. They provide the cups--both mugs and styrofoam. They have a loaded medicine cabinet. They've got a sub-zero fridge to put your lunches in. And the breakroom doesn't smell funny, either.

The HR person took me out to lunch--we had Thai food at Lemongrass, a really nice restaurant downtown that we walked to. I'm still so excited that I work downtown. I'm on the 14th floor of a building with 17 floors--actually 16, since there's no 13th floor--but still, I'm right up there close to the top. I've got my parking pass (a credit-card thing that allows me to park free--a $65/month charge that GWB pays for!). I'll have medical & dental coverage after one month, and I begin accruing personal days after one month. I'll accrue 1 day/month...and since I can't use the one I'll get at midnight on Dec. 31 (for various & complicated reasons that I won't go into here), but since I've earned it, but can't use it--they pay me for it. In fact, they pay you for any personal days that you don't use. I'd say that's an incentive to not be sick. Or "sick." However you choose to look at it.

They're also paying me for my lunch hour today, too, since it was my first day. And I do get paid overtime. In fact, I'll have two days this week that I'll get overtime pay for (two whole hours my first week!)--on Wednesday, they've got this "Lunch -n- Learn" thing where they cater lunch in, and we learn about a Windows program (Word, Excel, PowerPoint...) and since it's learning, they pay you for that time. How cool is that??? Plus, if I understand the HR person, I may actually get a check on the 31st, rather than having to wait until Sept. 15 (I was going on the assumption that they'd work like the State, who pays 2 weeks in arrears, so you wouldn't get your 8/15-8/31 check until 9/15....two weeks after the previous payperiod ended)....so that would be great news.

I'm pretty darn happy. I'll try to take the camera with me to work & get a picture of my view so I can share it with y'all. It sure is a nice change from the basement and the scary spider room!

7 Comments:

Blogger MiMi & Papa said...

Oh my gosh!!!! It sounds incredible!!! I'm so happy for you. After the nightmare of DCS, this will be heaven! This is so great!!!

8:59 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

DCS wasn't so bad...it came along at a time when I needed it, and the people I worked with were great. It was just in a basement that probably still had mold, probably had more than a little poo residue left from the Sewer Incident, and was infested with brown recluse spiders. But it really wasn't all that bad....

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sewer incident...those are two words you don't want to hear!

I looked at the pictures, and they're both really hilarious!

Also, as you can see, we've started a blog and you can view what's there by clicking on our name. It's not ready yet, and we can't figure out how to get our pictures on the profile page. We can post them on the actual blog, but just can't get it on the profile. If anyone can tell us how to do it, we'd appreciate it!

11:08 AM  
Blogger RachieK said...

YAY!!! It sounds really awesome. I had a couple of temp jobs once upon a time that were downtown. Knoxville, mind you, but still downtown. There is something to be said about working downtown. I always felt a little like I was on a photo shot for some fancy fashion mag. Like here's Metropolitan Girl casually drinking a latte and reading the Wall Street Journal. And here she is dashing across the crosswalk in her nifty pantsuit. Kind of keeps your finger on the pulse, I guess. I think you will have a blast. Maybe when I visit we can drive by... or WALK by and you can point out your viewing window!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

Or, if they don't have a problem with people coming in during weekends, you can COME IN & see my lavish surroundings!!!

And yes, I do feel a bit like Cosmo Chick when "dashing about"...

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!! It sounds really exciting and well take all the money they give!! I have never worked downtown or in abuilding with more that 2 floors so I can only imagine how cool it really is!! Congrats darling!!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

I've checked it out with our HR person--I can go in & have family tour the office on the weekends, as long as y'all don't peek at any files...

So come on down!!!!! First one here gets dibs on the sofa; second one can sleep on the piazza. (That's fancy Eye-tal-yun for "porch.")

7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home