Friday, September 09, 2005

Bad Hair Days

I'm having 'em. Lots of 'em. Yesterday, I think I caught some young children pointing to my head & laughing.

I have a love/hate relationship with my hair. On second thought...make that a "I really don't like it, but it's all that I have & beats the alternative"/hate relationship. My hair is tolerable when I have a straightener on it--at least it doesn't go all Q-tip-y on me in the humidity...I can at least beat it into submission when it's straight(er).

And, it "goes" fairly nicely when it's short--I think because there's less of it to fight back. See--I think that's what it is. At night, when I'm asleep, all the follicles & strands get together to plot against me. And right before, say, a job interview, or, I don't know...my first day at a new job--I have atrocious hair. I mean really, really bad. As it was this time, with this new job. Luckily, they didn't hire me for my tresses...which is a good thing. 'Cuz I would have been, as The Donald likes to say, Fired.

Right now, I'm letting it grow out. It was looking good--it even looks good in my driver's license photo (and how rare is that??? See, I snuck up on it that day...my hair had no idea where we were going when I set out that day....)! And then I thought, "Maybe I'll get it trimmed, just shape it up a bit.” It was to a length that I was able to let the curl come out just a bit and do this cute flippy thing at the ends.

It was a good hair cut; I just think that all the cute parts got cut off.

And then I thought…maybe it’s just got too much curl…maybe with some of the length gone, the curl is just going wild. So then I got a straightener, figured I’d tell my hair who’s boss.

Well, my hair is the boss of me. The straightener took…but only on parts of my hair. So some sections are curly…some are straight. And unfortunately, those sections are on opposite sides of my head. So you look at me from the left: curly! You look at me from the right: straight! You look at me dead on: lopsided!!!

I think the people at work refer to me as “That girl with the weird hair.”

Before I walked out of the door today, I stopped, turned to my left and went into the bathroom & rewet my head. It was either that, or cry. So, I managed to do something halfway decent with it (at least hopefully the children would stop pointing & laughing, whereas I know that they’d sell tickets with the way it had looked before the rewetting), and faced the day.

I just hope that whatever my hair is doing, wherever it’s trying to go—it gets there fast, and stops exacting this revenge on me. Because my parents are coming to visit, and I’d sure like to have good hair when they get here.

3 Comments:

Blogger RachieK said...

Oh, I can sympathize! Sometimes, I can have many really good hair days in a row and then **POOF** one morning I wake up and my hair refuses to resemble anything even remotely close to what I want. And for days after that, it continues to mock me and it's past obedience. It's as if my hair grew just enough over night to be beyond the cute stage. It's times like these that I have to force myself to stay away from any cutting tool. I'm having one of those periods right now, in fact. I say we blame it on the humidity, at least for now. We'll think of something else to blame it on when the weather turns cold!

11:50 PM  
Blogger MiMi & Papa said...

Welcome to the story of my life! Do I grow it out, do I cut it off??? It's completely hopeless. The only time mine ever does what I pay it to is when it's very, very short. And I hate it very, very short!!!! Right now, I'm going through this "sneak and trim it just a little" thing every day! I've had it trimmed professionally, but couldn't seem to make it work, so I've "trimmed" it a "little" every day for the last week. Looks pretty good today, but I'm sure that will change tomorrow. I've got lots of things going on with it...it's too dry, so I gently condition it with a pretty good, expensive conditioner, and that makes it so soft that I have to curl it to death to make it have any body at all...I use both curlers AND a curling iron to give it body and to straighten it for goodness sake!!! Chauntelle, I know you know what I'm talking about here. Curl it to straighten it!!!! That's just wrong!

I've been having this battle with my hair since I was old enough to realize that it's weird looking, and it's winning! I've not given up, but I think a really short haircut is just around the corner!!! Short hair makes us women of a certain age look younger, right???

1:02 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

You know, this past weekend when Patrick & I were downtown, we walked past a wig shop. I think there's something to that idea...you can change it with your mood, you pull it off the form & plop it on yer head...it can be brown one day & hot pink the next. I can be Louise Brooks or Dolly Parton or Donna Summer. Hmmm.....

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home