Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween!

Well, it's October 31, 2005. The night that I look forward to, and buy lots of candy (and the good kind, too....KitKats, and Starburst, and Nestle Crunch bars. Not the crappy "grab bag" candy. Even if it is $2.99 for four pounds of candy, I just can't do it. I've got to give the ghosties and goblins the good stuff.), and hope to hear lots of knocks on the door, and the sound of "Trick Or Treat!!!" and then I get to exclaim on how scary/cute/funny all the little ones look.

And it doesn't happen.

Not a single Trick-Or-Treater. Not even a knock.

I did hear a noise outside & I got all excited, and looked out the window. It was a cat. And I'm not wasting my Crunch bars on a cat.

I even cut out & hung the cutesy picture that that Apartment newsletter said to hang on your door if you want to have Trick-Or-Treaters. I have to admit, though, that I didn't color it. Not sure where our crayons are, and when I went to Eckerd to paw through the 10 remaining bags of candy, I forgot to pick up crayons. I'm hoping that my lack of color didn't deter children...but I don't think that was it.

I talked to Patrick tonight, who told me that one of the things he loves about me (one of the many, many things, I'm sure) is that I do get so excited about Halloween. Every year, I get excited, buy way too much candy, and eagerly await for the knocking & begging for candy to begin. And every year, I'm always disappointed by the lack of activity, and the utter mass of candy that's left over (for which Patrick is ever grateful).

But what he loves about me is that the next year, I'm excited. Nevermind that I was disappointed the previous year, and there's no reason to believe that this year will be different. I'm still excited. I'm still optimistic. I still have hope that in the 364 days that have passed, 150 children have somehow snuck into the neighborhood, and are all, at this moment, making their way to our house to yell "Trick Or Treat!"

So, that's me tonight....at 9:00 p.m., sadly taking down the picture of the kitten in a pumpkin that was to signal to the world that I'm ready--I've got candy, and I want to give it to you! Here I am, stuck with four bags of good candy....and not one Trick-Or-Treater.

But maybe next year.

9 Comments:

Blogger MiMi & Papa said...

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard!

We did have one person ring the doorbell, but it was the lady (Joan) next door, and she didn't want any candy! Dan tried to give her some, but she politely declined!

I am also one of the members of the really bummed club at the end of the night on Halloween! We've got tons of candy as well, and no little people to give it out to. We always had way too many at the house in Smyrna, but I guess the "almost all old people" subdivision just isn't on the trick or treat map!!! I join you in your sorrow!!!

11:12 AM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

I've been blessed to know Chauntelle for 10 years now, and in all that time, I can recall only one Halloween with any trick-or-treaters at all. That was Halloween on 1999, when we lived on Woodpointe Drive in a small subdivision cram-packed with tiny little children. I remember that Chauntelle draped the tiny front porch with an enormous quantity of fake spiderwebbing, to the extent that it was difficult to get into or out of the house.

1:34 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

Yeah, that was a great year....

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sad, sad stories of Halloween! They are suppose to be scary stories of ghosts and goblins, but you know, there are so many altenatives now, you can go to malls, churches for "Trunk or Treat", huge sub-divisions,etc...anyway I had 3 kids this year verses my normal big fat ZERO!

By the way, John Idol DID have a stroke last week, landed himself in the hospital but got out the next day because he's a stupid ignorant man(You can't make me stay in here! I"m goin' home NOW!). Just thought I would throw that tidbit of local (Hardin Valley News) in there. Got to keep you informed!

It is sad when you get all ready for one of the biggest holiday's and other people let you down, I remember being a kid and trick-or-treating in the (hood) some of the neighbors would scare us and give us lots of candy; it was lots of fun, then it was fun to do it to kids when I was older and then it was fun to take the kids out treating so I do also get disapointed when you have it (candy)and they don't come! What's a true Halloween buff to do?
Love everybody!!
Aunt Patty!!!

10:11 AM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

If I'd have had the time, I would have stopped by the GW&B Halloween party. I saw the pictures on our intranet, and all the kids looked so cute! That's what I love--seeing all the little costumes!!!

And, if I really wanted to give in to my temptation to see the kids, I could have gone to the mall--I'm sure they did something at the mall. And, as a parent, I can understand the desire to go to one location, where it's all indoors, and well-lit, with people that you feel comfortable with...rather than knocking on some random stranger's door, hoping that the candy isn't laced. (Which, for the record, is an urban legend. I don't believe there's ever been a reported case of razor blades in apples, that sort of thing....)

But still. One can hope for Trick or Treaters next year.

7:00 PM  
Blogger RachieK said...

I just had Jordan. She didn't even go to the front door and ring the bell! She came to my back porch and scared the crap out of me. Still she was cute as always, even if she did not wear her Ninja Turtle costume as she had planned. Seems at the last second she wanted to be a princess and kind of made up her own outfit. Gotta love the imagination on her!

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, she kinda amazes me that way with that little twisted mind of hers, but what can I say? I understand she's extremely smart and all, but she really does have a PRIMO imagination!
Still I hate not having lots and lots of trick-or-treaters!

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well...I didn't have many treaters either I got two and Jordan!! DJ and I worked really hard on carving a pumpkin and made sure we had candy!! We even bought our precious angel a halloween costume!! But the night wasn;t a total bust I may not of have treaters for candy but I did have some for some homemade chilli!!

10:21 PM  
Blogger RachieK said...

and it was some good chilli!

11:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home