Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Baby Update

We had our next prenatal visit today; well, it was supposed to be yesterday, but Dr. Hood (the one we've been seeing and really like) had to deliver two babies, and the nurse said she tried to call to let me know that my appointment would have to be cancelled, but just got voicemail....so, we rescheduled for today.

The Bean's heartbeat is 166bpm, which is "perfect," and the nurse was chasing the Bean around the womb with the heartbeat wand thingy (not sure what the actual name for that is; I'm sure Nurse Kala knows) to try to get a heartbeat, so apparently little Beany is quite active!

The most exciting thing is, the nurse confirmed that all those flutters I've been feeling ARE the Bean! In fact, she was pressing down on my belly & could feel some fluttering.

The doc just did some measuring, and I'm really not sure what I measured at. But he said everything looks perfect--although he did mention that I've put on more weight, and he'd like to see me scale back to 3 or 4 lbs for next visit (I was starting to feel like I was on Celebrity Fit Club or something). Oh--for those who want to know, I gained 7 lbs from the last visit. *Sigh* Doesn't he understand that the Bean is HUNGRY???

No pictures this time; we probably won't have another ultrasound for another couple of visits. I thought about trying to put the camera up close to my belly with the shop light to see if that would illuminate anything, but from what I've read, babies in the womb CAN see bright light, and I really don't want to irritate this child before she/he is born. I'll wait until afterwards to do that....

On another note, Patrick & I had an early Valentine's Day celebration at the Westin Poinsett, a very swanky hotel in the heart of downtown. My law firm gets a great rate for their suites, so we went up there & just enjoyed walking around, having each other to ourselves. We did have dinner at Addy's Dutch Cafe (where I got the swedish meatballs, and they were the BEST I've ever had; Patrick had this peanut-y chicken noodley thing that was really good, too...almost a Thai flavor) and then later we both had waffle cones from Marble Slab Creamery (okay, I think I see where the 7 lbs is coming from....).

This coming weekend we'll have Dan, Janet & Rachel as visitors, and we're both looking forward to that. I have a bet going with Patrick that Janet will: 1) touch my belly, and then 2) cry.

I'll let you know if I win the bet.

6 Comments:

Blogger RachieK said...

Um, yeah. You are totally going to win that bet. Sorry, mom, but it's the truth. On the other hand... I may also be touching the belly and crying. I don't guess it's odd that I already love the Bean more than I thought humanly possible. It must have something to do with the fact that the parents are 2 of my most favorite people in the whole world. I take the incredible love I have for them and mulitply it for the little bundle of joy growing in my sissy's belly!!!

9:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chauntelle, you are SO gonna win! Hahaha! How could Patrick not think his mom won't be so touched to tears with the baby almost here? :) I'm so glad you're doing well.

K

12:35 AM  
Blogger MiMi & Papa said...

Well, DUH!!! That's a sucker bet! Of course I'm gonna cry, Dan's gonna cry, and Rachel is gonna cry like a baby!!!!! Honestly, I thought Patrick knew us better!!!! These moments only happen once in a lifetime, and I'm gonna cry! And then I'll thank God like I do every day for this miracle! I can't wait! Chauntelle, thank you so much for these posts!! They are so wonderful!

Oh, and I might talk a little baby talk...can't be helped...

10:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When do I get to touch the belly and cry? And Auntie J talk all you can so when Bean is here he/she will know your voice...for those that don't believe me just look at Skyler(my heart)!!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

No, I think Patrick knows his mom will cry (and everyone else, too!); I think it was just the order in which the tears would come...

I just love that everyone (family, friends) can keep up-to-date with what's going on, post comments--I love to check & see who's responded, and then see the threads that go from there!

And Autie Kala, you can touch the belly whenever you want. It's here in Greenville, just waiting to be touched (family & friends only...everyone else will be charged a $5 petting fee).

I think the Bean will know my voice...with Patrick being gone, I talk to the Bean ALL THE TIME. I also sing, so hopefully that won't scar the Bean too badly. And I have to be honest...I do love the "Mozart for Mommies & Daddies" CD that Mom & Dad sent us, but I still have to turn up AC/DC when it comes on the radio (Dad--"Shoot To Thrill" came on....I swear I felt the Bean's little feet tapping along with the drumbeats.)!

And the Bean has been flopping & fluttering quite a bit lately; I think he/she was mad that I may have thought the fluttering was gas, and is showing me that, no, really, it's me, Mommy!

Makes me giggle. It's the best feeling ever.

1:14 PM  
Blogger Chauntelle said...

And by the way, Janet did NOT cry when she touched my belly. She cried at other things, but not then.

I guess I lost the bet!

6:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home