Thursday, March 09, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!


I don't have very many pictures of Mom, mainly because she's the one taking all the pictures, but I do have this one, from my famous photo cube.

I love this picture of Mom--she's holding me in my christening gown, and she's looking so glamorous, with her blonde hair and her geometric print dress...and she's looking at me with such love and happiness. You just know that I was very loved!

My Mom is amazing--she did, and continues to do, so much for our family. I'm not sure how many of you out there know this, but she decided that she wanted to go back to school, and she worked hard and earned her Master's degree before I got mine...and she started college after I did! I was so proud when Mom got her degree--I think, for me, her MA degree meant more to me than mine did!

She's always been there for me, no matter what. I know that I can talk to her about anything, and I treasure the memories I have of her and I going shopping, getting lunch at Vintage Fare in the Nugget Mall, just talking and bonding. Even now, when we visit, I look forward to our shopping trips. It's a chance for us to get together, by ourselves, and just be together.

It was so hard for me moving to Tennessee, and not being able to see my parents as much as I wanted to. I'm sure it was harder for them (as I'll be finding out very shortly as I become a parent!). I missed my Mom so much!!! I remember I had some really hard times, and I would just call her and cry to her. I know it broke her heart to have her baby so upset, but Mom, I want to let you know that you made it all better. Just talking to you, and knowing that you loved me...it means the world to me.

Every day I look in the mirror, and I see Mom staring back at me. When I hear my voice on an answering machine, I'm struck with how similar it is to Mom's. I love that she and I share the same love for "Ishtar." (Yes, we know it's a bad movie, but telling the truth is a dangerous business.) I love that she and I laugh so hard at certain shows that it's a wonder we don't wet ourselves. I love that she and I can be open and honest with each other, and I always know that she's there to support me and give me all the love and help and encouragement I need.

My Mom did an amazing job, raising me with complete unconditional love and support, and then allowing me to go into the world to seek my own way, to begin my own life, and now--to begin the cycle again.

I look at my growing belly, and envision what our baby will look like, what he/she will grow up to be--all those unknowns that parents-to-be wonder. But the one thing I do know--I know that I hope I'll be just like my Mom. And, I can't wait for this little Bean to get to know his/her Grandma, and will know--as I do--what an amazing woman she is.

Happy Birthday, Mom. I love you!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I have a hard time going back to the days when you were in Tennessee and we were so far away in Alaska. We have to let the children go and grow, but it takes a toll on the parents. I remember the phone call when you had been a victim of a robbery at "Pappa Johns". It was all I could do to not take the next flight out to come and get you and bring you home where we could take care of you--and never let anyone threaten or hurt you again. After dad spent (what seemed to be) hours on the phone doing some serious therapy with you, he had to spend hours with me trying to get me back to a place where I could breathe again.

So many memories pop into my head...pantyhose on the head, tutus, bicycles, motorcycles, horses, your Birthdays! And then there's driving in Juneau when you were sixteen! In November on icy roads!! What more can a mother endure??? The Volvo may have been a ugly orange color-but it was the safest car we could get for you.

Now you're going to be a mother...what a wonderful joy you will experience. If you can look at your child one day and say "I've done a good job" then you'll know the complete joy and fullfillment that I have when I look at you. You learned well, Grasshopper...and to say I'm proud of you is an understatement. Thank you for being the best daughter ever!

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home